Sunday, March 27, 2016

Crenshaw

Crenshaw
by Katherine Applegate

The first time Crenshaw showed up, Jackson and his family were living in their minivan.   When the imaginary cat makes a reappearance a few years later,  Jackson begins to worry that his family once again will lose their home.   Food and money are scarce, and his parents have begun to sell some of their possessions to help pay the rent and other bills.  As Jackson struggles with his family's situation and the possibility of being homeless again,  he reminisces about the last time Crenshaw appeared.   Is Crenshaw's appearance just a coincidence, or a sign that things are about to fall apart again?

Crenshaw is an emotional story that had me captivated from the first page.   As I say to many of my students, I know a book is a going to be a great choice for me if I don't want to put it down once I begin reading it.  Crenshaw was one of those books.  Reading about Jackson's struggles will give many a greater appreciation for what they have, and the strong bonds of his family throughout their challenges is heartwarming.  What a great book!

Book website: http://www.mackidsbooks.com/crenshaw/

Book trailer: 

No comments:

Post a Comment