Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Losers Club

The Losers Club
by Andrew Clements

What's an avid reader to do when he is told he can't read at school? Start an after school reading club! When Alec's deep love of books yet again gets in the way of his schoolwork, his principal puts a restriction on his reading time in school. Alec finds a way around the principal's strict order by starting The Losers Club during the Extended Day Program at school, which will give him three extra hours of reading everyday. Alec's plan of reading in solitude are hampered, however, when more kids than he planned join the club, including his biggest bully.  Will Alec's club grow to be more than he ever expected it to be?

I'm a big Andrew Clements fan and this story made me wish for a Losers Club when I was in sixth-grade!  One of my favorite parts about this story is that many excellent books (Hatchet, The Lightning Thief, Cat in the Hat, and many others) are mentioned and my hope is that my students, after reading The Losers Club, will then want to read some of the stories the different characters
read.

Author's website: http://www.andrewclements.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment